Dear Fried Chicken,
Have you met my best friend waffle? It goes great with maple syrup…
before our adult life took over our social life, david was my cheese to my macaroni or bacon to my eggs, you know that sweet romantic stuff… He was my waffle to my fried chicken.
As days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months, there was one thing that will always bring us together. A GREAT chicken and waffle, for I am the chicken and waffle connoisseur of San Francisco, CA. Yes, I gave myself that title but who the eff cares.
It all started January 2011, when I dedicated the rest of 2011 to find the best chicken and waffle in San Francisco: Eats in the Richmond, Zero Zero in SOMA, Criolla Kitchen in the Castro….I went to every place: to find the best fried chicken and the best waffle, combo, no skinny waffles please.
Many great milestones have come along with David, Chicken and Waffles and I and this one was the best…we were featured on the front page of the NY times…THE FRIDAY paper!
From looking for the BEST fried chicken to the BEST waffle, I am now trying to perfect my own recipe with a twist.
For those gluten free/dairy free…. a box of paints exclusive… Gluten Free Dairy Free Chicken and Waffles recipe!
- -4 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- -Salt for taste -Pepper for taste
- -2 Eggs -1/2 Cup Almond Milk , unsweetened, sweetened, vanilla, whatever you want
- -2 Cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- -8 Tablespoons of Herb and Garlic Seasoning (any brand, I like simple organic)
- - Peanut Oil/Vegetable Oil/Canola Oil, whatever you want
- Waffles: (two waffles)
- -1/3 Cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- -1/3 Cupt Brown Rice Flour
- -1 1/2 TBSP of Coconut Flour
- -3 TBSP Finely Ground Almonds (or Almond flour)
- -1 Egg Seperated
- -1 TSP cinnamon
- -1/2 TBSP Orange Peel
- -1 Cup Almond Milk 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- - Coconut Oil Spray
Start with your fried chicken because that takes the longestReal Maple Syrup
- Gravy (for those who are not strict on dairy/gluten free)
- Get a small sauce pan, fill it up half way with oil, turn our gas stove on med-high heat
- Wait until the oil is about 325 degrees refer to this article
- Mix the milk and egg together in a medium bowl
- Mix dry ingredients together in a medium/large bowl
- Dip Chicken in milk/egg mixture and then dip to dry mixture
- Place on a plastic cutting board
- Start deep frying one at a time, I like to deep fry each chicken for at least 15 mins, until chicken floats
- I still like to cut parts of the chicken to see if it is fully cooked and then deep fry for longer if needed
- Strain chicken after you deep fry
- Turn on your waffle iron
- Seperate egg Mix Egg Yolk with a wisk
- add Bob’s, Brown Rice Flour, Coconut Flour, baking powder and Almond Flour
- I like to get whole almonds and run it through a food proceessor to get finely ground Almonds
- Get an orange and finely chop the peel and mix into dry mixture.
- Mix in Almond Milk slowly and wisk in
- Get the whites from the egg and mix with a hand mixture until soft peak
- Refer to this article
- Slowly Mix into waffle batter by folding into the batter
- Spray coconut oil on waffle maker (gluten free tends to stick more)
- When Waffle maker beeps when waffle is ready, leave it in for one more minute, It can cool a little more.
Enjoy! Please visit facebook.com/teepzchallenge for updates on my adventures.Now, put your fried chicken on top of your waffle, smother it with maple syrup and eat it with a fork and knife. Slice a piece of your fried chicken with your waffle and eat it together.